Great slowness with radeon(4x) and AccelMethod "EXA" for X.Org 7.2

Michel Dänzer michel at tungstengraphics.com
Fri Jun 1 00:10:32 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 00:56 +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> A friend of mine (Cc:'ed), who has the very same laptop as me,
> investigated the problem a little further, and it appeared that the
> line is the guilty:
> 	Option         "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
>
> Removing this line or switching back to the VESA driver solves the
> slowness problem.  Note that this line didn't cause any (noticable)
> problem with my previous X.Org 6.9.

EXA performance was improved significantly in xserver 1.3. In the
meantime, Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy" might provide similar
performance as with X.org 6.9. In general though, EXA is only expected
to give a benefit when using a compositing manager. And even then, if it
doesn't help for you, don't use it - after all it's an option that's
disabled by default.