Running xrandr on a remote client - possible?

Wolfgang Pfeiffer roto at gmx.net
Sun Dec 16 11:26:46 PST 2007

Xavier, Brice - Hi All

On Sat, Dec 15 2007, at 09:45 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:

> On sam, 2007-12-15 at 00:07 +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Please CC me, if you respond: I'm not subscribed to this list.
> >
> > I'm looking for a way to run xrandr on a remote client after logging
> > in to this client via ssh, and manipulate
> >
> > * 1   the remote clients internal display
> > * 2   the remote clients external display (VGA/TV etc ...)
>
> You must first start the X server locally (on the remote client). Either
> by login in through gdm, or through ssh by stopping gdm and typing
> startx or something equivalent.
> Then you can login remotely through ssh and type;
> export DISPLAY=:0
> and it should work.
>
> If you can't login locally on the remote client, then you'll have to
> know which user is logged in (often it's "gdm") and use its Xauthority
> credentials. IIRC something like:
> export XAUTHORITY=~gdm/.Xauthority
> but you may need to setup your permissions to be able to read this file
> (e.g. add yourself to the "gdm" group).

Works. Thanks a lot .. :) ... Results can be viewed here:
http://heelsbroke.blogspot.com/

Merry Christmas to everyone out there :) ...

And heaps of thanks to everyone who is being involved on the work of
this nice new driver.

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://heelsbroke.blogspot.com/

Key: 0xE3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on