xorg-sgml-doctools: merge request

tlaronde at kergis.com tlaronde at kergis.com
Mon Mar 4 18:56:46 UTC 2024

On Mon, Mar 04, 2024 at 07:45:16PM +0100, tlaronde at kergis.com wrote:
> [...]
> There is one thing that will have to be decided globally.
>
> For now, pkgconfig files are installed in ${datadir}/pkgconfig.
>
> But "normally", pkgconfig files have to be installed in
> ${libdir}/pkgconfig meaning that Xorg pc files can end elsewhere on
> systems than other pkgconfig files (and this is a bit contrary to the
> purpose of the pkgconfig files: a well-known place to get information
> about where is the stuff and how to link etc.).

For this, Alan Coopersmith has answered in another thread. Quoting:

---8<---
X11 follows the general rules for pkg-config file installation:
${libdir}/pkgconfig for architecture-specific stuff,
${datarootdir}/pkgconfig for architecture-independent stuff.

Normally this means if your pkgconfig file specifies linking against
a library, it goes in ${libdir} so it gets the settings right for
whatever library you're actually linking against (32-bit vs. 64-bit,
cross-compiling for another architecture, etc.).

Stuff that ends up in ${datarootdir}/pkgconfig tends to be the same
for all OS'es/CPU's, things like the xorgproto header files and
the xorg-sgml-doctools XML files, and isn't used in linking binaries.
--->8---

There is however the autotools mix between datadir and datarootdir
that is not very clear for me... (datarootdir seems to match better
meson built-in datadir than the autotools datadir).
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/