xserver: do we still need Fopen()

tlaronde at kergis.com tlaronde at kergis.com
Thu Feb 8 12:41:45 UTC 2024

On Thu, Feb 08, 2024 at 01:25:24PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:

> > > On which platforms is that still the case ?
> >
> > Platforms which support users starting the Xserver directly
> > (startx/xinit/etc
> > instead of via systemd service or display manager) on devices without KMS
> > support.
>
> Okay, but which are those, exactly ? Are those still supported at all ?
> A comprehensive list of still supported platforms would be great.
>
> > I know Solaris is one, since that's the one I work on,
>
> hmm, and there's no other way around this ?

This is part of the X11 contract: startx(1) etc. are a way to add a
graphical interface as a user to any, at least Unix, node.

I'm for example still using it this way (I'm mainly developing and I
don't always need a graphical interface and don't want to waste
permanently resources by using and administrating a display manager
for which I'm the sole and temporary user).

Not being able to do so would be, IMHO, a major step backward.
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/