RFC: xserver release planning

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult info at metux.net
Tue Feb 6 11:19:33 UTC 2024

On 06.02.24 10:07, Michel Dänzer wrote:

Hi,

>> #4 xorg master and xwayland have massively diverged, pretty much a fork
>
> Not sure what you mean by that. If you're looking at the xwayland-2x.y release branches,

Yes, e.g. xwayland-23.2 is the one used by debian (unstable).

> those drop code specific to other DDXen, since that serves no purpose for standalone Xwayland releases.

Doesn't make much sense to me. IIRC, one just builds with a config that
only enables Xwayland and leaves off the others. Note that it's not just
a bunch of files removed - there're even features removed that happen to
be ununsed by xwayland.

The diff is huge (even w/o the removed files) and git history has
diverged for almost 200 commits, w/o any clear point-of-fork.
master is still at 21.1.* while xwayland is at 23.2.* - this really
doesn't add up to me.

>> * gitlab: add xserver-23.2 milestone (realign w/ xwayland)
>
> It's 2024 already. There's no point in aligning with Xwayland, which is released separately anyway.

Well, I don't think it's a good idea to split that, in the long run.

I would make sense, if the Xserver would be split into lots of different
libraries with independent lifecycle, but we're far, far away from that.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert