Meson vs. automake/autoconf

Matthieu Herrb matthieu at herrb.eu
Tue Feb 6 08:52:11 UTC 2024

On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 09:45:51PM +0100, tlaronde at kergis.com wrote:
> I'm continuing my review and I'm now looking at libxcb and xcbproto.
>
> Is there a goal set to switch from auto* tools to meson/ninja for the
> maximum of projects?
>
> Since I have to untangle things for my own built framework, I may as
> well provide meson files (that are undoubtely more readable than the
> auto* dance) when I am at it...
> --

Hi,

There are still platforms (OpenBSD, NetBSD at least) which don't have
python (and thus meson) in their base build system.

Switching to Meson is forcing us to rewrite a build system that can
run on those systems.

Moreover, since the fdo CI doesn't check builds on those systems, the
meson configurations are more or less broken on those systems.

And unfortunatly I don't have time anymore to take care of all of
theses issues alone.

--
Matthieu Herrb