issues and merge requests

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Mon Feb 5 21:56:16 UTC 2024

On Mon, Feb 05, 2024 at 09:52:50PM +0100, tlaronde at kergis.com wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith has applied the merge request for libXau---thanks!
>
> I had written 2 issues, related, against libXau, that the patches
> address, so I have closed the issues after the merge.
>
> It seems to me that writing issues against a module; providing patches
> via a merge request; then closing the issues when the merge has been
> approved and applied by a developer has the advantage of providing an
> history.
>
> Are there guidelines set concerning this?

Best approach is to add a line "Fixes #123" into the commit message
and/or the merge request and gitlab will automatically link to to issue
123 in the same repo and close it when merged.

Otherwise and if on the same instance, you can also link to other
projects using the full path including namespace, e.g.
xorg/lib/libX11!10 is merge request 10 in libX11.

Note that a "Fixes #123" in a commit message will link from the issue to
the commit every time you push. If you're easily embarrassed about your
development flow it's best to leave that off and add it before the final
push before filing a merge request ;)

Cheers,
  Peter