[EXTERNAL] - trouble with Xace receive hook

Peter Harris pharris at opentext.com
Fri Feb 2 22:33:29 UTC 2024

On 2024-02-02 4:10 PM, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> Hello folks,
>

> I'm currently writing a security extension and having trouble
> understanding what's going on w/ receive hook and xeyes:
>
> when moving the mouse, xeyes receives an event on the root window:
> GenericEvent with evtype DestroyNotify. (when blocking this one, the
> eyes don't move anymore).
>
> Why does it get DestroyNotify, instead of MotionNotify ?
>
> What am I doing wrong ?

You're looking up a Generic Event using the list of core (non-generic)
event types.

First you need to look up the extension (in the extension field). Then
you can look up the extension-specific event in evtype.

Assuming the extension is XInput, in this case you have an XI_RawMotion
(17) instead of a DestroyNotify (17).

Peter Harris