xserver: do we still need Fopen() ?

Adam Sampson ats at offog.org
Fri Feb 2 18:57:30 UTC 2024

"Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult" <info at metux.net> writes:

> But this doesn't make much sense to me: why should the xserver - if
> started as root (but dropping privs) - be prevented from reading an
> xauth file ?

Maybe for NFS? Imagine (it's the late 90s and) you've got a workstation
running an X server as root, with home directories mounted from an NFS
server with root_squash enabled - if you started the server with -auth
/home/me/.Xauthority, the X server wouldn't be able to read it.

I expect most modern machines used the saved-IDs version of the code
rather than the cat version...

--
Adam Sampson <ats at offog.org>                         <http://offog.org/>