is _X_INLINE still needed

Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult info at metux.net
Thu Feb 1 11:33:03 UTC 2024

On 31.01.24 20:22, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

Hi Alan,

> In public headers, I'd say it's still needed, as we've always supported

Which ones are public ?
Here's a quick grep of Xserver tree:

nekrad at orion:~/src/xorg/xserver$ git grep _X_INLINE
Xext/security.c:static _X_INLINE const char *
dix/region.c:_X_INLINE static int
dix/region.c:_X_INLINE static Bool
dix/resource.c:static _X_INLINE void
dix/selection.c:static _X_INLINE void
doc/c-extensions:    * _X_INLINE: inline this function if possible
(generally obeyed unless
exa/exa_classic.c:static _X_INLINE void *
exa/exa_driver.c:static _X_INLINE void *
exa/exa_mixed.c:static _X_INLINE void *
exa/exa_priv.h:static _X_INLINE Bool
glx/glxserver.h:static _X_INLINE int
glx/glxserver.h:static _X_INLINE int
glx/glxserver.h:static _X_INLINE int
hw/xfree86/modes/xf86Crtc.h:static _X_INLINE xf86OutputPtr
hw/xfree86/modes/xf86Crtc.h:static _X_INLINE xf86CrtcPtr
hw/xfree86/modes/xf86Crtc.h:static _X_INLINE RRCrtcPtr
hw/xfree86/modes/xf86Crtc.h:static _X_INLINE _X_DEPRECATED void
xf86_reload_cursors(ScreenPtr screen) {}
mi/mifpoly.h:static _X_INLINE int

> compiling applications against our libraries in strict C89 mode (i.e.
> -std=c89, not gnu89 or similar modes that allow extensions),

By applications you mean things like X clients, or also out-of-tree
extensions (*1) ?

1) the only still maintained one I'm aware of is from tigervnc, and
    don't believe it's relying on strict c89 mode.

thx,
--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert