xorg maintenance: maintainer proposal

Thomas Adam thomas at xteddy.org
Mon Dec 18 22:53:26 UTC 2023

On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 03:40:12PM -0800, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> While we don't have a well defined process for becoming a maintainer for
> the X.Org projects, we have historically expected people to get involved
> first, not just be anointed.  (There are some exceptions around vendor
> maintained drivers for their hardware/software, but that's about it.)

Absolutely!

> I'd suggest looking through the open bugs & MR's on
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/
> and maybe see if you can help triage, reproduce, or even fix some bugs;
> or review or test some long open MR's.  There could also be work done
> around adding more testing to our CI infrastructure to help any new
> maintainers gain confidence in proposed MRs.

I've started to look over the open MRs on the xserver repository, and have
started to comment on a few of them.

I could do with knowing what/how the labels on MRs and issues are used.  I
don't see to have the ability to add/change labels on MRs or issues -- but it
would help in triaging some of those, IMO.

> new maintainer today. But long term, it would be nice to make a 24.x
> release series to replace the 21.x release series and publish everything
> that's accumulated in the development trunk in the past 3 years.

I presume this would be across most of the repositories under the 'xorg'
projects and not jsut the xserver repository?

Indeed -- as it's been three years already, is there a roadmap or set of
issues which you're waiting to be fixed before that decision is made?   Or is
it more a case of things need to be planned first?

Thanks again!

Thomas