Updates to X.Org MAINTAINERS file & info about retired packages

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Mon Apr 24 01:03:54 UTC 2023

Between cleaning the cruft out of my own packages recently and answering some
questions from other distro/package maintainers, I've taken some time to
write up better info on the current state of X.Org packages and what things
distros should be looking at dropping.

First, two sets of updates to the X.Org MAINTAINERS file:

- MAINTAINERS: update format
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/doc/xorg-docs/-/merge_requests/9

   This just updates the format of the file, combining the P: & M: lines
   into single M: line for maintainer to match the Linux kernel
   MAINTAINERS file, and then adding some entries the kernel had that
   we didn't have yet: C:, T:, F:, & X:

- MAINTAINERS: update data
   https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/xorg/doc/xorg-docs/-/merge_requests/10

   This depends on/includes the previous request, and then makes a bunch
   of updates to the data itself to better reflect the world of 2023.
   (See the merge request description for a list of the changes made.)

Once those two are reviewed/accepted and pushed to the repo, then I plan
to send out a mail to the distributions at kernel.org list - the current
draft is https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/-/snippets/7615 .

If you have any corrections, suggestions, or further updates, please
let me know by the end of April.  (Of course, after that, you can always
make updates on your own via a simple xorg-docs merge request, they just
won't be in the version that gets seen when the email goes out to the
distro maintainers.)

If there's anywhere else I should send such an email to besides that
list, please let me know that as well.

         -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
          Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris