[PULL] glamor-next

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Mar 26 14:10:15 PDT 2015

Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:

> NAK for these changes. I'll be using the *_nf functions in the radeon
> driver soon, and I expect there might be interest for something similar
> in the modesetting driver and/or Xwayland in the long term as well.

So, these seem backwards to me - you're asking glamor to accelerate
something, and if it can't, then the driver is given a shot before
falling back to software.

It seems like if you have some acceleration in your driver which should
be used, then you probably want to select it *before* even trying
glamor. In that case, having your driver wrap glamor seems like it would
make a lot more sense, and should be easier to support in the long
term.

And, it means that everyone uses glamor through the same interface, and
we don't end up with mysterious hardware-dependent bugs in glamor.

--
-keith