Merging the modesetting driver to the X Server

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Tue Aug 26 12:19:16 PDT 2014

I've been threatening to do this for a year, and I'm sitting around at
debconf so I went ahead and did it.  This code is available in
git://people.freedesktop.org/~anholt/xserver in the
"modesetting-import" branch.  Here's the commit message for the merge,
which I didn't include as a patch since it's big:

commit 35dc7c75150733dbcef8a18b6796f49a7c48ebee
Merge: 3a51418 5f3485b
Author: Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net>
Date:   Mon Aug 25 15:52:58 2014 -0700

    Merge branch 'modesetting-import' into master

    This reintroduces a "hardware" driver to the xfree86 directory.
    Unlike the drivers that xorg used to include in the source tree, that
    needed independent release schedules to get hardware support out the
    door, the modesetting driver shouldn't change much as new hardware
    gets released.  A lot of what this driver needs to do is just keep up
    with server ABI changes.

    This import was done by taking xf86-video-modesetting-0.9.0, and
    running this script with 'git-filter-branch -f --tree-filter
    ~/bin/modesetting-filter':

    mkdir -p hw/xfree86/drivers/modesetting

    rm -f README autogen.sh configure.ac Makefile.am .gitignore
    rm -f man/Makefile.am

    mv man/modesetting.man hw/xfree86/drivers/modesetting/
    mv COPYING hw/xfree86/drivers/modesetting/
    mv src/* hw/xfree86/drivers/modesetting/

Comments on tree-filtering: It means we get full git log -p
information on the .c/.h files, but you can't go back in that log and
build the driver from inside the X Server tree, nor do SHA1s from the
modesetting module match the SHA1s in this history.  Here's the commit
message of the merge:

I've got a follow-on series for device-independent acceleration
support and DRI2/3 using glamor that I still need to clean up.  It's
what I'm planning on using for VC4, and I'd love to make that happen
for 1.17.  My overall goal is to have a single 2D driver in the X
Server that all the KMS driver developers are happy with.