[PATCH 00/18] Xfbdev Atari and Amiga support
geert at linux-m68k.org
Wed Mar 27 06:20:33 PDT 2013
This patch series revives some of the support for Atari and Amiga that existed
in XF68_FBDev, but got lost after XFree86 3.x.
- All non-packed frame buffer layouts use shadowfb, and fast "c2" for
- As the KDrive "keyboard" driver is broken, you have to use evdev instead.
- 4 bpp is of limited use with modern clients, as e.g. GdkRgb doesn't support
4 bpp color. gdkRgb does support 4 bpp grayscale, so you may want to force
the visual to grayscale.
- I haven't benchmarked it yet against XF68_FBDev 3.6, but it's unusable slow
on my Amiga 4000/040, even for just moving the mouse pointer. May be due to
excessive TLS syscalls with recent glibc. It is usable on ARAnyM on Intel
Core 2 Quad.
Status on Atari:
- 1 bpp, 4 bpp, and 8 bpp now work (16 bpp already worked before, as it's a
- 2 bpp is not yet supported. It's of limited use anyway due to the low
number of colors.
Status on Amiga:
- 1 bpp, 4 bpp, and 8 bpp now work.
- 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 bpp are not yet supported. 5 and 6 bpp may be useful as
they improve Chip RAM access for the CPU, compared to 8 bpp.
- The keyboard map is messed up, even with
Xfbdev -keybd evdev,,device=/dev/input/event0 \
-mouse evdev,,device=/dev/input/event1 [ -cc grayscale ]
List of patches:
[01/18] debian/rules: Enable kdrive-mouse and kdrive-evdev on Linux
[02/18] miext/shadow/shpacked.c: Remove unused PickBit() define
[03/18] [RFC] mi: Avoid division by zero errors in miInitializeColormap()
[04/18] test/input: Fix double-aligned test in dix_valuator_alloc() on m68k
[05/18] KDrive: Bail out if screen initialization failed
[06/18] Xfbdev: Make char *fbdevDevicePath const
[07/18] Xfbdev: Handle unset var.bits_per_pixel
[08/18] Xfbdev: Add support for monochrome visuals
[09/18] Xfbdev: Treat 1 bpp pseudocolor as monochrome
[10/18] Shadow: Add c2p core
[11/18] Shadow: Add support for Atari iplan2p4
[12/18] Shadow: Add support for Atari iplan2p8
[13/18] Shadow: Add support for Amiga afb4
[14/18] Shadow: Add support for Amiga afb8
[15/18] Xfbdev: Reject unsupported frame buffer types
[16/18] Xfbdev: Force shadowfb for frame buffers with non-packed pixels
[17/18] Xfbdev: Wire up Atari iplan2p4 and iplan2p8 support
[18/18] Xfbdev: Wire up Amiga afb4 and afb8 support
All patches are relative to Debian's xorg-server-1.12.4 package.
However, all of them (except for the first one, which is Debian-specific)
apply to current xorg-server.git.
Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert at linux-m68k.org
In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
-- Linus Torvalds
More information about the xorg-devel