Future of shadow and shadowfb

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Oct 25 06:10:56 PDT 2012

On Mit, 2012-10-24 at 17:13 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> Did you know we have two of these?  Can we have only one of these?
>
> I'd like to merge them together, one way or another, but there are some
> slight semantic differences.  shadowfb gives you hooks for both pre- and
> post-rendering callbacks.  Exactly one driver uses this, vmware, for
> what looks like tearing down and putting back up the cursor.  I'm
> reasonably sure that could be better handled, but it's also easy enough
> to preserve.
>
> More interestingly, shadow batches updates until BlockHandler, whereas
> shadowfb is immediate.  I would expect shadow's performance to be better
> in the typical use case since it would reduce overdraw.  I don't know of
> any drivers that _depend_ on shadowfb giving an immediate callback,

I wonder if e.g. xf86-video-r128's page flipping support doesn't depend
on immediate callbacks. Otherwise, can't the second page display stale
non-GLX bits?

> but conversely BlockHandler isn't exactly a great interface for periodic
> updates, since it gets called on no particular schedule.
>
> So my thinking is:
>
> - port shadowfb to damage instead of handrolling it

That sounds like a good idea anyway.

> - merge that with shadow since they'll then be largely equivalent
> - keep the external API intact since it's easy enough

Maybe the merged module could preserve immediate vs. delayed updates
depending on which external API is used.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com