intended direct touch behavior

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 9 08:31:12 PDT 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Thomas Jaeger <thjaeger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to debug a few issues that I suspect are ultimately the
> result of wacom touch screens having a resolution different from the
> screen resolution [1], and I realized I don't even know what is supposed
> to happen when a relative device is used after a touch.  The two
> possible behaviors are
> (1) jump back to the last (pre-touch) position of the master pointer
> (2) stay at the position of the last TouchEnd
> The server exhibits behaviors approximating both (1) and (2) depending
> on the circumstances: For example, on an empty session (with just the
> root window it will do (1) (but the cursor is shown at the point of the
> touch until the relative device is actually moved). In an xterm or xev
> window, it will do (2) (but jump to the device coordinates of the last
> touch, interpreted as screen coordinates, once the relative device is used).
>
> Which of the two behaviors is intended?  I don't personally care either
> way, but it'd be nice to be consistent.

I think you're hitting an issue that just never was resolved properly.
I think that, ideally, when you perform a direct touch interaction and
the cursor moves to that location, any future relative device motion
should be performed relative to the new location.

What is currently happening is the relative device is remembering its
last location and performing future motion relative to its remembered
location.

Basically, I think it would just take someone who is annoyed enough to
spend a half hour to fix it :).

-- Chase