display using unix-domain socket (was Re: fd passing for X)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 03:02:58 PDT 2012

On 10/06/2012 04:56 PM, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What's the advantage of that patch?
1) You can use a socket path you create in advance, so you know for
certain that it is free when you call the server.
You then know for certain that this is what will be used by the server,
not some free port you have no way of guessing correctly.

2) That socket path can be totally private, using a file path with very
restrictive permissions if you wish to do so.

> As far as I understand the patch shifts the burden of finding a free
> port (or socket path) from the X server to the user.
Yes, it does. If by burden you mean freedom.

> X is in the position to atomically find a free port and grab it
> whereas an user from outside of the X server will have much harder
> time achieving that.
These aren't ports we're talking about, but unix domain sockets, see above.

> Of course, controlling what port the X server uses directly by the
> user can have its advantages but it does not help with finding a free
> one.
OT.

Cheers
Antoine