display using unix-domain socket (was Re: fd passing for X)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Sat Oct 6 00:08:58 PDT 2012

On 10/06/2012 03:46 AM, Keith Packard wrote:

> I did a bunch of experiments with fd passing in Linux to see how it
> might work in X.
>
> Here's the results:
>
>         http://keithp.com/blogs/fd-passing/
>
> The bottom line is that I think it'll be easy to get fds from
> applications to the X server, and a bit harder to get fds from the X
> server back to applications.
Now might be a good time to revive this patch which has been submitted
before by Timo Juhani Lindfors (CCed):
https://www.xpra.org/trac/attachment/ticket/172/X11-unix-domain-socket.patch

It would be very useful for us to avoid having to find a free display
TCP port to use with the Vfb X11 server (Xdummy), we could just allocate
a private socket as needed.

I suspect that the concerns will be security related. I don't mind
coding and testing to ensure this new display mode cannot be abused, but
at this point I am not entirely sure that any checks are actually needed.

Cheers
Antoine

PS: sorry for hijacking thread - seems somewhat related and I had been
meant to post this question for ages.