Problem assigning key for "Caps_Lock" in Fedora 14

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 02:42:53 PST 2012

Hi all.

I am debugging an issue, wherein a keycode that has been assigned as a
capslock, is working on Fedora 11, but not on Fedora 14.

The contents of "~/xmodmap.conf" are  as follows::

keycode 133 = Caps_Lock
add Lock = Caps_Lock

Specifically, even when I run the following command on Fedora 14 from the
terminal,

xmodmap -e 'add Lock = Caps_Lock'

I get the message

X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  118 (X_SetModifierMapping)
  Value in failed request:  0x17
  Serial number of failed request:  12

Note that the above works fine on Fedora 11, though.

I have tried the solutions at
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=83946, but nothing seems to work.

I will  be grateful, if someone could let me know as to how to get this
working (on Fedora 14 that is).

Looking forward to a reply.

Regards,
Ajay