[ANNOUNCE] xorg-gtest 0.1.1

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Sun Feb 26 15:47:47 PST 2012

On Feb 26, 2012, at 9:28 AM, Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> wrote:

> On 12-02-24 11:49 AM, Chase Douglas wrote:
> > Chase Douglas (5):
>
>       > Fix linking against X server libs
>
>       > Link libxorg-gtest_main against libxorg-gtest
>
>       > Add GPLv3 license as COPYING
> X.Org does not (and I think cannot) use the GPLv3 license. The tarball is published on the X.Org site althought not part of a katamari. I am not the expert on this, so I don't have a definitive answer. The patch was not reviewed, so it's hard to say if proper licensing advice was sought.

I don't ow what the rules are, but the code has always been GPLv3, which is the default license for anything Canonical creates. I merely forgot to add a COPYING file in 0.1.0, and I'm guessing if I hadn't mentioned the license type in the commit message no one would have noticed again :). This probably means we need to be more vigilant when reviewing new projects, or create a better procedure than 1. announce new project, 2. create repo if no one objects, 3. profit?

> It looks like Canonical owns the right to the source code. Perhaps they would agree to using the X.Org preferred license that you find at http://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.6/doc/xorg-docs/License.html#id2521948.

I have inquired about this. To be clear, we are not asking for any contributor agreement since our intent is for this to be for the benefit of X.org and we hope the community finds it useful. I want to set up xserver unit tests and hope they can be integrated upstream, so if this is a barrier we definitely want to resolve it.

In the meantime, if anyone outside of Canonical does contribute I will ask for written confirmation on this list that the contribution may be relicensed under the X.org license just to be safe.

> > Generate ChangeLog at make dist
>       time
> This will fail when building from a tarball. Consider using the makefile snippet from all other xorg modules. If you don't want to depend on util-macros, just copy the command in the gtest makefile. It lookes like a trivial task, but there are many pitfalls. A lot of effort and testing went into this line of code.
>
> There are two zero byte ChangeLog and Changelog file in git which will just create more opportunities for failures.
>
> I'd be happy to help with the configuration. If you are ok on depending on util-macros, you will get a lot of things for free. If not, that's fine too. We can always copy what we need.

I'm quite happy for any help with the autotools stuff :). I would say I'm an intermediate level user of autotools, good enough to get most things right, but still need to be shown the ropes elsewhere.

Using xorg's util-macros is fine with me, I just hadn't looked into it.

I'll follow up on this when I'm back from vacation later this week.

-- Chase