pscroll (high-resolution scrolling) update

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at
Sun Sep 25 23:11:05 PDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:17:28PM +0200, Max Schwarz wrote:
> Hi,
> after a nearly year-long absence during my graduation from high school & other
> stuff, I came around to update pscroll again.
> For those of you who have never heard of it, take a look at my github page:
> I have updated the patches to xorg master now. The no-integration part in the
> server is now implemented through a new valuator axis flag field, as suggested
> on this list.
> I added two functions to xi/exevents.h to access the flags
> (SetValuatorAxisFlag() and ValuatorAxisFlags()), should they also be prefixed
> with "XI" like many other functions there?
> Patches are in the git repository as before:
> I'll add the patch for Qt4 as soon as I have updated it. If you want to try it
> out yourself now, there is a small utility in the git repo (pscrolltest) to
> dump the high-resolution scroll events.
> Comments and input on how to proceed are very welcome ;-)

sorry, I completely forgot about that. We're about to integrate high-res
scrolling into XI 2.1. See the blog post below for more detail.

And the X server patch for it is here, waiting for reviews:

There seems to be quite some overlap with your approach though the details
are a bit different (mainly that we bump the protocol to add a new struct
instead of relying on the resolution).
Any comment on the smooth scrolling approach is appreciated, we're not final
yet on the protocol.