Bugzilla duplicate components

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sun Sep 25 12:42:32 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-09-25 at 20:56 +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:

> > I'll take this opportunity to advocate that the xcb source
> repositories
> > should be relocated under /xorg if feasible. These are the only
> > externally recognizable hints that xcb is part of x.org project.
> That
> > would be helpful to direct comments/bug reports to the correct
> location.
> >
> I'm not sure what the perceived benefit is, can you explain?

I am taking the view point of new or occasional contributors. Each
project has policies, be it software license, development process,
architecture directions,  build tools requirement and so on. It takes
some digging to find what those policies are. That is assuming the
person knows to which project a piece code belongs to.

Currently there is no way for a person to "discover" that xcb is hosted
by xorg. If you specifically ask the question, sure, one can find out,
eventually. Even more so, looking at the cgit web browser, it is
explicitly listed outside of the xorg. Which information is correct? Has
xcb just been separated from xorg?

I was not around at the time xcb started. I assume that it grew over
time and proved it's usefulness. During that period of time, it got more
and more integrated  to the point were it looks like it is part of
project. When the day comes where it is officially merged into the
larger project, one can ask why it is needed. Perhaps it is a sign of
success. All is left to do now is to tie a few loose ends and make it
look as if it had always been in there.

If we don't, people will be asking "why is xcb component the only one
not under xorg"? for decades...