X/Graphics DevRoom at FOSDEM 2012? (4-5 February)

Hans de Goede hdegoede at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 04:41:28 PDT 2011

On 09/20/2011 12:57 PM, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:41:48AM +0100, Daniel Stone wrote:
>> Hi,
>> On Tuesday, 20 September 2011, Luc Verhaegen<libv at skynet.be>  wrote:
>>> This sound like a rather redhat specific topic. How certain are you that
>>> redhat is going to send you to FOSDEM, and if they don't, are you coming
>>> regardless?
>> In much the same way that every RadeonHD talk was completely
>> Novell-specific?
>> Anyway, way to encourage people to come speak at FOSDEM ... :\
> Yes, i definitely would've done the same for any other topic that was so
> obviously pending on corporate sponsorship, which probably will not work
> out until a week or two in advance of FOSDEM (as per usual).

First of all, Spice is not Red Hat specific at all, yes it is mostly driven
by Red Hat engineers, but we very much welcome outside contributors. We have
a public git tree at freedesktop.org, use bugzilla.freedesktop.org as our
main bug tracker and there are several other distributions interested in
using Spice too, and AFAIK it is available as a ppa for both Debian and

> I need 6 dead-certain talks for FOSDEM, by Oktober 1st, or there is no
> point in talking to the FOSDEM organizers. I hope that i drove that
> point home at XDC (not sure whether you were around at that time), and i
> included that specific part of my original email as well when replying.
> I hope that this part has been made very very clear now.

And Alon is offering you 2 out of 6, or 33% of what you need. You could
have asked if he is sure he is coming, without the unnecessary "rather
redhat specific topic" remark.