[Mesa-dev] X/Graphics DevRoom at FOSDEM 2012? (4-5 February)

Alon Levy alevy at redhat.com
Tue Sep 20 02:18:15 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:49:33PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
> (after my short talk here at XDC chicago, let's get this out to
> everyone)
>
> It's time again to start planning for the next FOSDEM. After our poor
> showing in 2010 (where in the end openmoko got given half our time, as
> we had not managed to schedule more than 3 talks 2 weeks before the
> event), I didn't bother organising this for 2011. And this year I am
> putting down some hard requirements before I go and talk to the FOSDEM
> organizers.
>
> So... FOSDEM. Not that it needs more introduction... One weekend in
> February, 5000+ geeks on a university campus in Brussels (not that
> anyone knows exact numbers). 3 main rooms, Tons of DevRooms, 20 or so
> talks in parallel, project specific booths. The biggest, and most open
> free software event of Europe, probably of the world.
>
> We have had 5 DevRooms in a row there, and even when we had a 150 seat
> room (2008), we were almost at full capacity all the time, and at times
> had to refuse entrance to people (for safety reasons). In 2010, when
> quite a few people had to be refused, we received remarks along the
> lines of: "Why doesn't a project like X have a bigger room?" "This is
> the only real opportunity we get to interact with the developers
> directly"
>
> So... After our terrible showing in 2010, i now need more to convince
> the FOSDEM organizers that we are worth of a DevRoom, that we can
> deliver. So, with a deadline of oktober 1st, i am now asking for 6
> people (basically fill up saturday afternoon) to step up and promise to
> hold a talk at FOSDEM, even when their employers end up not paying for
> their expenses, even when there is some other conference that might turn
> up in the next 5.5 months.
>
> Of course, these talks should not be just X, anything related to free
> software and graphics goes. For example: one of the really cool talks a
> few years ago was about a PCI card with an FPGA which did VGA.
>
> So. Get me something that i can take to the FOSDEM organizers and state
> "This time, we will fill our scheduly properly", and we will have
> another marvellous FOSDEM in February.

I'd like to talk about Xspice, and about plans for 3d support in spice.

Spice is currently limited to qemu virtual machines, Xspice is a Xvnc like
server using spice. The architecture is different in that it just implements
a few drivers (which link with the spice server library) and uses Xorg binary
without any changes. I can talk about the difficulties in doing that (X's
select loop, too many apis for input events)

3D support - it's currently being designed. Nothing to show code/demo wise. But I
hope to have a design to present by February, and would like to talk about it.