Client Window Memory Allocation

Abhinav Kochhar kochhar.abhinav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:11:01 PDT 2011

Dear All,

I am a newbie for using X server and extensions.
I am trying to understand window creation in x server and the memory
allocation related to it.
I understand that there is a primary "Root Window" created when X server
starts up. I have a few questions related to this:
1. Is the memory allocated for "Root Window" in some way mapped to the frame
buffer ?
2. How is the memory allocated for child/client  windows when I make a call
to XCreateWindow function ?
3. A window is made visible on the screen when XMapWidnow function is
called, how does it show on screen? By copying/composting to root window or
to framebuffer?

Thanks,
Pulsar