building xorg docs on Fedora

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 29 07:31:03 PST 2011

On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 10:38 +0000, Dave Airlie wrote:

> so I tried to update Fedora to the 1.6 xorg-x11-docs stuff, but it
> fails in some fop/xml land.
>
> anyone have any insight into the below?
>
> Dave.
>
> arguments used: -fo /tmp/xmlto.28DGHn/fonts.proc -ps
> /builddir/build/BUILD/xorg-docs-1.6/general/fonts/fonts.ps

I extracted tarballs xorg-sgml-doctools-1.6, util-macros 1.10 and
xorg-docs-1.6 and ran ./configure -prefix <whatever> && make install in
that order. This gives a sandbox that does not pick-up anything else on
the system. The build was successful.

Build output for general/fonts 'make clean fonts.ps':

        /usr/bin/xmlto -m /home/nadon/xorg/doctest/inst/share/sgml/X11/xorg.xsl --searchpath /home/nadon/xorg/doctest/inst/share/sgml/X11 --stringparam html.stylesheet=/home/nadon/xorg/doctest/inst/share/sgml/X11/xorg.css --stringparam img.src.path=/home/nadon/xorg/doctest/xorg-docs-1.6/general/fonts/ --with-fop ps fonts.xml
        Making portrait pages on letter paper (215.9mmx279.4mm)
        [warning] /usr/bin/fop: Unable to locate servlet-api in /usr/share/java
        [...] more warnings

You should be able to reproduce this test case on your workstation from
xorg tarballs http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/individual/.
This would give a point comparison between our systems.

The most likely causes of build failures in the docs are down level
xmlto or fop programs. I currently use xmlto 0.23 but used 0.22 for a
long time. I also used fop 0.95 for a long time. For libX11 nl docs, fop
1.0 is required.

The xmlto is a script that merges the stylesheet and stylesheet fragment
into a temp file and invoke xsltproc on it. Xmlto will detect an
xsltproc installed on the distro and use it. The level of xsltproc you
have may be different from the one I have. These xml "tool chains"
usually follow the same set of versions from one distro to another, but
it may vary.