libXpm: Changes to 'master'

Jon TURNEY jon.turney at dronecode.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 10:57:56 PST 2011

On 11/11/2011 18:19, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>  src/XpmI.h |    2 ++
>  1 file changed, 2 insertions(+)
>
> New commits:
> commit 4cedf181bcfe13e5d206554c51edb82cb17e7ad5
> Author: Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>
> Date:   Fri Nov 11 10:17:11 2011 -0800
>
>     Include missing headers
>
>     This fixes implicit declarations for strdup and strcasecmp.

This (and the similar changes to libxkbfile, xkbcomp, xmodmap, xrandr) cause a
tinderbox failure on cygwin. See e.g. [1]

I can also demonstrate the same problem with the following fragment:

#include <X11/Xfuncs.h>
#include <X11/Xos.h>
#include <strings.h>
int main() {}

The problem is that those X header define bzero, index and rindex as macros
which aren't compatible with including strings.h

I can quite easily believe that this failure is due to a defect in the
standard header files on cygwin, but I'm not sure what it is :-)

It doesn't make a great deal of sense to me that X11/Xos.h only includes
strings.h on select platforms, and then to include it unconditionally. So if a
working <strings.h> is a part of the Unix98 requirement to build X11, would
the solution be for Xos.h to always include it?

[1] http://tinderbox.freedesktop.org/builds/2011-11-13-0012/logs/libXpm/#build