[PULL] valuator double work

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu Jun 30 02:17:11 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 08:00:50PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:37:43 +1000, Peter Hutterer <peter.hutterer at who-t.net> wrote:
> > This is admittedly a larger-than-usual pull request but I'd like this to be
> > in 1.11. The main chunk of this work is the switch to use double valuators
> > which will eventually enable smooth scrolling. Note that no new feature is
> > introduced with this part, it's simply the underlying changes. Smooth
> > scrolling will be in 1.12.
>
> I think this is too large a change at this point in the release
> cycle. We're well past the merge window, and today is supposed to be the
> last 'non-critical bug' merge day. As this is in the input code, it's
> mostly your call, but it seems a bit outside our published process.

In fairness, as established on IRC, we are in feature freeze, but not on
the last day of non-critical bug merges.

> From the description above, it doesn't sound like this really offers any
> significant new functionality without additional work which won't land
> until 1.12. If other people have opinions as to whether we should merge
> this in for 1.11, please let us hear them.

But, fair enough.  It doesn't add anything compelling per se, beyond the
ability to post floating-point valuators.  Outside of features, it's a
significant and useful cleanup that also makes 1.11 a great deal more
maintainable in terms of the GetPointerEvents path actually making some
kind of sense, and by keeping it closer to 1.12.  Doing the ABI bump for
1.11 would also help drivers.

So, nothing critical, but it does mean that 1.11 will necessarily get
fewer bugfixes and a tad less attention since the GPE path will look
fairly different between 1.11 and 1.12.  We haven't really seen many
crippling bugs there in a while though, so I'm not massively concerned.

Smooth scrolling is going to need an inputproto bump for a
relative-but-not-accumulative axis mode anyway.

Looks like 1.12 is going to be fun for input. :)

Cheers,
Daniel