Build fixes (was Anything more for xproto 7.0.22?)

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sat Jun 4 15:12:46 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 23:52 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca> (04/06/2011):
> > Is it intentional for these files to be installed in /usr/share? The
> > docs are installed in $home, so I wonder.
>
> This smells like a missing DESTDIR support or something similar.
>
> Our (Debian's) packages use a /usr prefix, but stuff is usually built
> from sources in $(CURDIR), below $(CURDIR)/build, and installed under
> $(CURDIR)/debian/tmp.
>
> Installing into $(CURDIR)/debian/tmp works by setting DESTDIR to that
> directory.
>
> I'd assume that distcheck does something similar. However, if you're
> blindly trying to access /usr or /usr/share directly at this point, you
> lose. Which I guess is happening here.
>
> KiBi.

What is unusual about the "target dbs" file (which aren't docs), it that
they are not installed in any location governed by the x11proto package
*dir variables such as docdir, datarootdir and so on. The installation
location is obtained by questioning xorg-sgml-doctools package. I
suspect this package, on your build, has been installed in /usr. I would
be nice if you could verify that.

Forgot to ask, you mention distcheck, but what happens with a regular
"make install"? It should behave the same way. If not, we are falling in
that category of scenario where "we know we do not have permissions to
install at that location, but we just want to create a tarball using
distcheck, not really install the package". There are a few video
drivers in that situation and there is a workaround. It's so hard to
explain :-)