macros: Changes to 'master'

Mark Kettenis mark.kettenis at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 1 05:34:58 PDT 2011

> From: Gaetan Nadon <memsize at videotron.ca>
> Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 07:42:32 -0400
>
> > AC_LANG_DEFINES_PROVIDED seems to be only in newer, GPLv3, versions of au=
> toconf ... is there a way around this?
>
> I looked at it yesterday, using AC_LANG_SOURCE should be the right thing
> to do (some examples in the server). I can submit a patch later today if
> no one else beats me to it. You can reset macros a couple of commits
> back to get the build going.
>
> Not related to this problem. but can you elaborate on the issue of GPLv3
> of autoconf?

Many people object to the version 3 of the GPL.  This includes
companies like Apple, projects like FreeBSD and OpenBSD, the primary
author of the Linux kernel, etc. etc, each for their own reason.  My
personal reason is that I don't understand the license anymore.  GPLv2
is written in normal language; GPLv3 is full of lawyer speak.

> We won't be able to remain at the current 2.60 for ever.

Why not?  2.60 comes with a reasonable complete set of macros.  And
you can always write your own macros instead of adopting ones only
available under GPLv3.