xorg-server/*bsd: moving from hal support to devd support?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 14 10:04:59 PST 2011

I'm mentioned this several times now: Get me a spec for what Linux udev
provides, and what services are needed, and I'll make a compatible
implementation on FreeBSD.

While it is unfortunate that Linux didn't pickup my interface that
mostly pre-dated its implementation, I expect the two are close enough
that it would be easy to do.  I've been hampered by not being able to
find anything that approaches a specification for udev in the Google
searches I've done.  Mostly I've found rants about how great udev is,
and how horrible all the competition is.  While I'm sure that serves
some purpose, it doesn't satisfy my need for a clear, and easy to follow
specification.  I'm hesitant to just write something that matches the
Linux code because I don't have any way of knowing what is supposed to
be a documented interface, and what's supposed to be a private change on
a whim interface.

I'm sure it is just a matter of being unfamiliar with the proper terms
to search for.  Any hints in this area would be greatly appreciated.  If
something that is "standard," I'd expect to find good docs somewhere, right?

Warner