adding RandR support to dummy (was adding a custom modeline with xrandr..)

Antoine Martin antoine at nagafix.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 00:17:54 PST 2011

On 10/24/2011 06:26 PM, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 05:20:29PM +0700, Antoine Martin wrote:
>> Whenever an xpra client connects to a server I want to resize the
>> dummy xserver to match the client's resolution exactly. ...
>> "Failed to change the screen configuration!"
>
> Off-hand, I'd guess nobody has implemented RANDR support in
> xf86-video-dummy. But since I don't know what drivers need to do
> for that, for all I know there could be some generic support in the
> core that's failing here, instead.
You are right, there is not a single line of RandR code in the dummy
driver so whatever is failing must be in core.
Interestingly this already allows the resolution to be changed (as
mentioned previously), it just does not allow adding new ones.

So I would like to add better RandR support to dummy which should be
relatively straightforward, but I cannot find any reference
implementation or documentation on which methods need to be
implemented and how.. I found that drivers include "xorg/xf86RandR12.h"
Calling xf86RandR12Init / PreInit only got me segfaults so far..
Are there any useful pointers to help me get started?

Thanks
Antoine