libXaw3d: optional features

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Sun Aug 28 07:15:05 PDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 04:04 +0200, Rafał Mużyło wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 08:46:40PM -0400, Gaetan Nadon wrote:
> > On Sat, 2011-08-27 at 19:35 +0200, Rafał Mużyło wrote:
> >
> > > First a minor nitpick about "Use AM_YFLAGS and BUILT_SOURCES rather
> > > than
> > > EXTRA_DIST" patch:
> > > while BUILT_SOURCES is probably the correct solution there, AM_YFLAGS
> > > are redundant, it's already handled elsewhere.
> > >

> > When not using "AM_YFLAGS = -d", laygram.h is not included in the
> > tarball, but still generated. Building the tarball on a computer when
> > yacc is not installed produces this error:
> >
> >         make[1]: *** No rule to make target `laygram.h', needed by `all'.  Stop.
> >
> > The yacc package is not required to build a tarball as the generated
> > code is included in the said tarball, so laygram.h must be included.
> >
> > This target is missing in the makefile, so it does not work on a git
> > build either.
> >
> >         laygram.h: laygram.c
> >         	@if test ! -f $@; then \
> >         	  rm -f laygram.c; \
> >         	  $(MAKE) $(AM_MAKEFLAGS) laygram.c; \
> >         	else :; fi
> >

> > Thanks for mentioning this, I had not gone to that level of details yet.
>
> So, in short AM_YFLAGS are needed mostly cause automake isn't good
> enough at cheating ?
> Cause there's already "%defines" for producing the header.

        "AM_YFLAGS is usually used to pass the -d option to yacc.
        Automake knows what this means and will automatically adjust its rules
        to update and distribute the header file built by ‘yacc -d’."

./configure --help:

          YFLAGS      The list of arguments that will be passed by default to $YACC.
                      This script will default YFLAGS to the empty string to avoid a
                      default value of `-d' given by some make applications.

It would appear there is a long story behind this. Not to mention
platforms we don't use,
different versions of yacc and bison, make programs, backward
compatibility, etc..., etc...

There are a couple of apps and the xserver using it as well and I find
it reassuring when the same situations are coded the same way and have
been reviewed.

Feel free to provide a review tag :-)

Thanks