Bell confusion with master vs. slave devices in Xorg 1.7.6

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Aug 15 15:59:39 PDT 2011

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 07:47:10 -0700, Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:

> > Where the above approach would work is on the first EnableDevice() for this
> > device - this is guaranteed to be the first attachment and the one where we
> > may change the bell volume based on the MD.
>
> Should xset on the VCK update the values in defaultKeyboardControl then?

It doesn't look like this issue was ever resolved, and bug 25801 is
still open.

(putting my developer hat on)

It seems to me that the simplest approach would be to use the master device
bell volume for bell requests on the master device, but to pass the
request down to the list of slave devices, stopping after it finds a
device to emit a sound.

I don't see copying the master volume as a viable solution though;
hotplug happens all the time, and it shouldn't be the case that an
application needs to resend core protocol requests in response to input
device hotplug.

keith.packard at intel.com