Splitting protocol screens from the driver interface

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Wed Apr 6 17:59:24 PDT 2011

Hi Dave,

I like the idea of separating the driver from the protocol screens,
and am interested in helping out.  I think it might be easiest in the
short term to let the overlay functionality I talked about break and
then I can add it back later in whatever form makes the most sense
with the new architecture (which I hope will let overlays and
Composite work together, that would be awesome).  As James mentioned
on IRC, the biggest issue is probably going to be access to the window
clip lists, which we definitely need for GLX but can probably live
without for the core X driver.

Is there a design document or something somewhere that we can take a
look at to get a better understanding of what your intended target
looks like?

-- Aaron