Translating/localizing X.Org apps

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sun Sep 26 13:18:16 PDT 2010

Hello,

Alan Coopersmith, le Sun 26 Sep 2010 13:04:27 -0700, a écrit :
> Is there any interest in the community for actually having these
> localized, or are we happy with telling users of non-english locales
> to use the localized equivalents from GNOME/KDE/etc.?

I am interested, and already raised the issue some time ago:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2006/08/msg00196.html

also see the whole thread on

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-August/017583.html

> If there is interest, does anyone want to volunteer to figure out
> what we need to do to hook these up with the Translation Project
> ( http://translationproject.org/ )?   That probably requires minor
> knowledge of Makefile.am editing, but not knowledge of the internals
> of any of the software packages in question.

It's rather resource2po and po2resource scripts that are needed, to be
able to feed the translation project with their usual .po format.

> I believe most of the Xaw-based apps should support app-defaults translations,
> but don't know if the translation project accepts those directly or wants .po
> files generated for translation.

They'd really rather like .po files since they have a whole toolchain to
handle translations & updates.

Samuel