Disabling monitors with bad EDIDs?!?!

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu Sep 23 23:07:42 PDT 2010

Am 23.09.10, 11:19 +0100 schrieb Richard Hughes:
> On 22 September 2010 21:28, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:

> Out of interest, how accurate is the colorspace information you get
> from the EDID normally? I know you do an auto-profile in oyranos and I
> wondered if typical monitors were accurate, or the EDIDs just get
> stuffed with some half-correct (semi-random) values by the vendors.

Manufacturers have typical good colour measurement equipement and appear
to put some reasonable colorimetric data inside the EDID. The colorimetric
precission is of course rough, given that the gamma curves are represented
by just one float value. EDID derived ICC profiles improved the colour
corrections in all cases I have seen so far. That is reason enough to use
it as fallback.

> Obviously DreamColor monitors are pretty accurate, but what about the
> bargain basement LCD panels and the non-name LCD screens used in
> typical notebooks?

I think they profit the most from the EDID infos, as these customers
will very likely not invest money into measuerment devices or get
familiar with the related technology. They can get improved colours for
web content, photos and movies provided the GPU texture lookup can be
activated in their compositing manager.

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--