Disabling monitors with bad EDIDs?!?!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 03:19:07 PDT 2010

On 22 September 2010 21:28, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b at gmx.de> wrote:
> Some devices need a firmware update. I checked on osX which handles dynamic
> EDIDs fine. Nouveau on Fedora13 and the nvidia driver openSUSE-11.2 fail to
> update the EDID info. The X server needs to be restarted before the changed
> EDID becomes visible.

The intel driver on Fedora 14 seems to handle it correctly, which
would suggest it's a nouveau bug rather than an xserver bug.

Out of interest, how accurate is the colorspace information you get
from the EDID normally? I know you do an auto-profile in oyranos and I
wondered if typical monitors were accurate, or the EDIDs just get
stuffed with some half-correct (semi-random) values by the vendors.

Obviously DreamColor monitors are pretty accurate, but what about the
bargain basement LCD panels and the non-name LCD screens used in
typical notebooks?

Thanks,

Richard.