dead code in build.sh?

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Tue Sep 21 14:50:16 PDT 2010

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 01:48:28PM -0700, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> Adrian Bunk wrote:
>>> What serious problems do you have when you are using the autotools in
>>> the X.Org components?
>> When building the packages for my distro, the only serious problem I have
>> is having to basically remove libtool from the compilation/linking steps
>> since it refuses to allow me to specify the correct linker flags and insists
>> it knows more about my platform's linker than the people who write it.
>
> Do you have any pointer to details?

Sorry, but I've kept no log of my cursing every time I found new
libtool-induced bugs I had to work around.

libtool 2.x is better than 1.x, which made it impossible to correctly
build 64-bit libraries on Solaris, since it hardcoded in the libtool
script the ld flag for 64-bit builds, and thus failed when using
$(LD)=$(CC) as recommended to ensure the right language-specific
bits/flags are passed to the linker by the compiler.

I've still had other problems with 2.x deciding to drop linker options
it didn't want me to use.   And of course, hacking install.sh to never
install a .la file improves things a lot.

	-Alan Coopersmith-        alan.coopersmith at oracle.com