Disabling monitors with bad EDIDs?!?!

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 06:59:25 PDT 2010

On 19 September 2010 11:56, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be interested in checking if your EDID has somehow been corrupted.

The LP2480zx has a feature where it can update the EDID with the
correct colorspace co-ordinates depending on the chosen colorspace. It
would appear if you turn this feature off (to never change the EDID
even if you change the 3d lut) the EDID checksum is incorrect.

I'm pretty sure this EDID updating feature is turned on by default,
although it's kinda hard to turn on if you ever turned it off, as the
OSD for this feature is only available if you have a valid input,
which in the case of the new drm, you won't.

> if its an expensive monitor it might be smart, power down the monitor,
> unplug all cables (power + video),
> leave it, and reconnect everything.

I've tried this.

I'll contact HP engineers directly of course, but this is likely to
affect quite a few people I think.

Richard.