Is XAA still supported in recent and future xserver?

Luc Verhaegen libv at skynet.be
Tue Sep 14 06:03:00 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:18:12AM -0600, Matt Dew wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 8:37 AM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Yeah, XAA is still there. Too many older DDXs only support XAA to
> >> think about removing it.
> >>

> > That said, it's not seen active development in years and has
> > bit-rotted in a number of areas resulting in various bits of
> > functionality being disabled (offscreen pixmaps for example).
> >
> > Alex
> >
> >> Matt
>
> Is that something that should go on a TODO (wish)list?  Move remaining
> DDXs from XXA to EXA? Maybe improve those drivers' performance on EXA
> first?

Well, sadly people have been working hard on making a direct comparison
between XAA and EXA impossible, but at the time when that was still
possible, XAA beat EXA quite consistently.

Intel actively pushed, despite fierce opposition from some linux
enterprise desktop distributor, the removal of XAA support code for the
intel driver stack. Plus, active mutilation of XAA also took place (1),
officially to clean up stuff, but it actively took away a good fast path
for XAA, and got us into code paths where gpu and cpu were not synced
properly, as that code previously was never hit in an unsynced state
(2).

If the benchmarks are not improving for one, make them degrade for the
other, or remove the possibility for comparisons to be made.

Luc Verhaegen.

(1) http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=e4d11e58
(2) http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=59f9fb4b