Is XAA still supported in recent and future xserver?

Matt Turner mattst88 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 08:23:33 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Matt Dew <matt at osource.org> wrote:
> Is that something that should go on a TODO (wish)list?  Move remaining
> DDXs from XXA to EXA? Maybe improve those drivers' performance on EXA
> first?
>
> Matt

I'd think that at this point, EXA isn't good enough to bother
rewriting a bunch of code for a bunch of old cards that not many
people care about. As the original poster says, XAA turns out to be
faster that EXA sometimes.

http://www.x.org/wiki/ExaStatus contains lots of information about
which cards can and can't support EXA. I guess it'd be nice if someone
could actually move them to EXA? I'm just not convinced it's worth it.

I think we're probably stuck with keeping EXA and XAA code for a long
time (until we decide to totally kill support for lots of DDXs). For
newer cards, I imagine that we're going to start switching away from
EXA for some new acceleration architecture using Gallium3D or
something. But what do I know?

Thanks,
Matt