Xephyr with DRI/DRI2

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Wed Sep 1 04:34:29 PDT 2010

Hi Haitao,

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 08:41:47AM +0200, ext Feng, Haitao wrote:

> In May I have submitted code patches to enable DRI2 extension for Xephyr. In
> that patch, I have preferred to use DRI extension to get OpenGL acceleration,
> and if there is no DRI extension, I will use DRI2 extension. To enable DRI2
> extension, some files are added and the basic logics are the same with DRI
> except the name "DRI" is changed to "DRI2" in those files.
>
> I'd like to know whether we need DRI extension in Xephyr. If DRI is not
> supported in the future, I could change the dri files directly instead of adding
> more files into the Xephyr folder.

Both DRI and DRI2 are still used largely. Of course to have an implementation
that would cover a broad range of devices and systems is always nice, so both
are welcome in Xephyr.

When you're introducing a feature like this, it's important to keep in mind
how the code is going to be tied with the rest and, for instance, if we could
select only one of those or in a near future easily remove another entirely.
Weak coupling is the word here.

I'd say to send again your patches to review here in the ml (and please send
them inline using git format-patch).

Thank you,
             Tiago