State of the 1.9 release

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed May 19 23:42:50 PDT 2010

We're closing in on the scheduled date for the merge window closure and
I thought it would be a good idea to update people on what's going on.

Here's some patches that I know are outstanding:

 * mi: removed the invisible cursor sprite; use NullCursor instead.

   Oliver was trying to check with Coverity to verify if this works.
   I'm frankly tempted to just merge it and have people test it; it
   seems like a desirable API change in any case, so any bugs it
   introduces should be fixed.

 * Turn deprecated allocation functions into inline ones

   This requires a new libXdmcp; I think Mikail is off on a trip soon;
   so this may wait until he returns or someone else does the libXdmcp
   release.

 * dix: Remove a large pile of backing store leftovers

   Just needs some minor fixups at this point, nothing major. Would be
   nice if someone could review the autoconf patch that tries to
   make miInitializeBackingStore appear for existing drivers. Otherwise,
   meh.

 * dix: Reshuffle ScreenRec to pack holes

   Adam wants to play with this a bit more; it's not a big deal in any
   case.

 * glxdriswrast: Use CreateGC, not CreateScratchGC.

   Bikesheding over the interface for creating long-term internal GCs
   in the server. Others are welcome to join in the fray if interested.

 * Reimplementation of devPrivates

   The first of these two patches is huge and was done manually,
   so there may well be errors. I'd love to see review, but failing
   that, I'm very tempted to just get a few Tested-by: lines and push
   expecting that we'll catch any latent bugs with the asserts() that
   litter the new code.

If anyone has patches they think should be on this list, let me know.

We've currently got 11 bugs on the release blocker:

 Bug 23938 - keys occasionally get stuck with xorg-server 1.6.99.901
 Bug 23985 - Excessive core motion events for subpixel motions
 Bug 24094 - CTRL-ALT-F1 doesn't switch to VT1 (provides garbage input to terminal instead)
 Bug 24856 - xorg-server-1.7.1 mouse cursor not moving from MouseKeys
 Bug 27804 - Enter/Leave event woes with multiple master devices.

     These are all input bugs. Surely Peter will have them fixed by 1.9.

 Bug 25874 - coredump on "X -showopts"

     lame X option parsing. who would have guessed? Anyone want to go
     fix it?

 Bug 27114 - xorg crashes when resuming from suspend to ram

     This one has a patch proposed which hasn't crashed yet; the reporter
     has promised to report back on 5/21.

 Bug 27232 - A small java program that causes X to hang

     Sure looks like it's just grabbing the pointer or keyboard;
     probably not a bug.

 Bug 27572 - Bad glyph data fed into Xrender extension can cause a crash of X11 server

     Fix already merged to server; I think we can close this now.

 Bug 27367 - XSyncCreateAlarm causes server to use 100% CPU
 Bug 27428 - xrandr events delayed until a key is pressed

     I don't know about these two.

The two serious crashers have been fixed, there's one option crasher
left and a bunch of input bugs. Nothing really bad. I expect we'll get
some regressions with RC-1 though, and we should be prepared to get them
fixed or revert whatever code causes them.

As for the schedule, I'm going to be AFK from May 26-31. Do we want
someone to be merging patches to master while I'm away? Or does someone
else just want to push patches to their own tree and I'll merge when I
get back?

Secondly, it doesn't seem reasonable to close the merge window the day I
return, so I think we should hold it open until June 4th instead, giving
us most of a week to finish reviewing and stirring in new code before we
get to RC1. That would change the schedule to:

Merge window closes:        2010-6-4
Non-critical bug deadline:  2010-8-1
Release:                    2010-8-20

keith.packard at intel.com