[RFC] Refactoring of dix/dixutils.c

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Wed Jul 28 07:55:38 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 07:42:18AM +0200, ext Fernando Carrijo wrote:
> My humble attempt to put some order in dix. For lack of inspiration
> (or knowledge, if you prefer) I didn't touch the original copyright
> notices, and simply copied them verbatim to the new files; exactly
> like I did to headers. Ugly, I presume. But just a first try.
>
> Do people see any value in things like these?

yeah, I like it and think we need more of this kind of organization in X code
base. But I'm bit concerned about your actual changes.

Basically dix code is what is written and mandatory in the core protocol. So
before go and chop off the code, one thing to put in mind is the separation
between what is in the protocol and what is just "utils", like the rest. The
ideal would be to separate protocol description only in some files and the
mechanism to drive them (utils) in other files. Things like ffs.c, ptrveloc.c
and *utils.c could go somewhere else (maybe dix/utils), to make such
distinction.

That's my theory, let's see if other developers have something to say.

Cheers,
             Tiago