use after free in _XReply in libX11 1.3.4

Matthieu Herrb matthieu.herrb at laas.fr
Thu Jul 15 13:23:36 PDT 2010

Hi,

After updating to libX11 1.3.4, I started seeing window managers or
toolbar programs exit without reasons when closing windows or pop-ups.

After a bit of debugging, I figured out that this is caused by
a use after free bug in _XReply. Most people running Linux won't see it
because the data in the just free()'d memory is still there. But
Using OpenBSD's malloc which fills free()'d memory with a specific
pattern, you get a different code path.

The proplem arises in xcb_io.c:582. the 'current' pointer can have
been free()'d already (by dequeue_pending_request() called at line 562)
when getting there.

A simple test program to reproduce the issue is appended below: just
call XGetWindowProperty on a non-existent window.

Using his favourite malloc debugger one should be able to see the problem
on Linux too...

Unfortunatly I'm not sure of what the fix is...

#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/Xatom.h>
#include <stdio.h>

int
main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	Display *dpy;
	Window w = 0;
	Atom prop;
	Atom type;
	int format, result;
	unsigned long nitems, bytes;
	unsigned char *prop_value;

	dpy = XOpenDisplay(NULL);
	prop = XInternAtom (dpy, "_NET_WM_STATE", False);
	result = XGetWindowProperty(dpy, w, prop, 0, 0x7fffffff, False,
	    XA_ATOM, &type, &format, &nitems, &bytes, &prop_value);
	return result;
}

--
Matthieu Herrb