xorg.conf.d - InputClass feature request

Alberto Milone alberto.milone at canonical.com
Sat Jan 2 03:29:54 PST 2010

On Saturday 02 Jan 2010 12:22:18 you wrote:
> On Sat, Jan  2, 2010 at 12:03:24 +0100, Alberto Milone wrote:
> > Touchpads don't expose enough information about themselves in the kernel
> > (i.e. vendor, product and name are still too generic for quirks),
> > therefore I use udev to get the system name from
> > /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name and apply the quirks only for certain
> > laptop/netbook models.
>
> The kernel has the dmi information though.  Why can't you use it there?
>
> Cheers,
> Julien

Hi Julien,

I can't do it in the kernel because the options I'm interested in (which I
developed) work only when post-processing touchpad movements in the X driver.

For most touchpads there's no need to do so but in some cases (because of very
"peculiar" hardware design) this is the only solution (or workaround).

Regards,

--
Alberto Milone
Sustaining Engineer (system)