Big patch of XGI because of a big feature

Gaetan Nadon memsize at videotron.ca
Wed Feb 24 05:31:40 PST 2010

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 18:36 +0800, Jong Lin wrote:
> Hi Gaetan,
>
> It would be a problem to divide the big patch into small ones because
> of big features such as EXA support. The individual feature of EXA
> support is still a big patch.
>
> As I know, Ian was the maintainer of XGI driver by 5/2008 but he
> hasn’t been in charge of it for a long time.
>
> From the following link, we found a new revision xf86-video-xgi-1.5.1
> of XGI driver which is tagged by
>

> Dave Airlie <airlied at redhat.com>
>

> http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/driver/xf86-video-xgi.git
>

> It seems that Dave takes over the act of maintainer after Ian.
>
> Is it right?

I do not know. Occasionally people unrelated to the driver may do some
maintenance.

> Do you have any idea of who is the current maintainer?

I don't. It seems like you work for XGI Technology Inc, and the video
driver is for their GPU products. You might be the best person to find
out.

> BTW, do you know who have the authority to assign maintainer or what
> is the process of assigning a maintainer for specific driver? We might
> need to contact the right person to get permission to check in the big
> patch. Please comment. Thanks a lot.

I am a developer with commit privilege as I do regular maintenance on
the GNU build system. X.Org does not assign maintainers as it does not
have any employee. Who ever needs a particular driver supplies the
maintainer which may be an employee of XGI Technology Inc or a volunteer
from the it's users community.