ldconfig Order.

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Wed Feb 10 10:43:44 PST 2010

Hello,

Seems like the appropriate place to ask this:

Does anyone have any insight why it is that even when ldconfig is told
to use /usr/lib/nvidia ahead of /usr/lib, it still gives
/usr/lib/libGL.so.1 priority?

It seems to have been discussed on #radeon not too long ago:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~cbrill/dri-log//dri-devel-2009-12-24.log

(search for 'ldconfig')

This set up used to work a few years ago, and I don't want to make false
accusations of bugs.

This is Debian Squeeze, though Lenny does it as well. My only insight is
this funny OS ABI flag:

         libGL.so.1 (libc6, OS ABI: Linux 2.4.20) => /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
         libGL.so.1 (libc6) => /usr/lib/nvidia/libGL.so.1

Of course, deleting the libGL in /usr/lib works, for some definition of
"works."

--Pat